18 December 2015 - New Orleans City Council to remove four confederate monuments
New Orleans Council Votes to Remove Confederate Monuments
The Associated Press (NBC News, 17/12/2015)
New Orleans' leaders on Thursday made a sweeping move to break with the city's Confederate past when the City Council voted to remove prominent Confederate monuments along some of its busiest streets.
The council's 6-1 vote allows the city to remove four monuments, including a towering statue of Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee that has stood at the center of a traffic circle for 131 years.
It was an emotional meeting — often interrupted by heckling — infused with references to slavery, lynchings and racism, as well as the pleas of those who opposed removing the monuments to not "rewrite history."
Jeff Adelson (The New Orleans Advocate, 17/12/2015)
Having called in June for the monuments to come down in the wake of a shooting that left nine people dead in a South Carolina church at the hands of a white supremacist, Landrieu spent the summer and fall largely on the sidelines, at least publicly, of a growing controversy over the proposal.
But he stepped into the center of the dispute Thursday in a City Council chamber packed with rowdy partisans on either side, taking up his case in a dramatic exchange with Stacy Head, his chief antagonist on the council and the only member ultimately to vote against declaring the four monuments in question public nuisances subject to removal.
Debbie Elliott (NPR, 17/12/2015)
A statue of Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee has anchored a New Orleans traffic circle for more than 130 years. But Lee Circle could soon be history.
The New Orleans City Council voted 6-1 Thursday to remove four prominent Confederate monuments as a public nuisance.
The decision came after heated debate over what the memorials represent.
"If anybody wins here it will be the South, because it is finally rising now that we're taking these down," said City Council President Jason Williams.
Greg LaRose (NOLA, 17/10/2015)
Now that they may legally do so, New Orleans officials are moving to take down four Confederate monuments and plan to store them in a city-owned warehouse. But a permanent place for the monuments has not been established.
Mayor Mitch Landrieu's office said Thursday (Dec. 17) the estimated cost to remove the monuments is $170,000. Landrieu has previously indicated that an anonymous donor would cover that expense. A contractor will be selected through a city procurement program for small and emergency projects, with the company identified once the information is available.
The removal of the other three statues "could begin in days," said a statement from the mayor's office. Once taken down, they will be stored until "further plans can be developed for a park or museum site where the monuments can be put in a fuller context."
Pour citer cette ressource :
"18 December 2015 - New Orleans City Council to remove four confederate monuments", La Clé des Langues [en ligne], Lyon, ENS de LYON/DGESCO (ISSN 2107-7029), décembre 2015. Consulté le 23/09/2023. URL: https://cle.ens-lyon.fr/anglais/key-story/archives-revue-de-presse-2015/18-december-2015-new-orleans-city-council-to-remove-four-confederate-monuments