New call for Lockerbie inquiry as Abdelbaset Ali Mohmed al-Megrahi dies
Many of the families claim Abdelbaset Ali Mohmed al-Megrahi, who was 60, would be posthumously cleared of any involvement in the worst terrorist attack in the UK. They want his appeal to be reopened and said any inquiry may have to be held outside Scotland, to avoid the “tentacles” of the prosecution service”.
David Cameron on Sunday night rejected any such move, insisting there had been a “proper process”. He added: “This has been thoroughly gone through. I’m very clear that the court case was properly done and properly dealt with.”
The Prime Minister said Megrahi, who was sent back to Libya on August 20 2009, on the basis that he was dying of prostate cancer and had three months to live, should have served out his days in a Scottish prison. “I’ve always been clear he should never have been released from prison,” he said.
Pour citer cette ressource :
"New call for Lockerbie inquiry as Abdelbaset Ali Mohmed al-Megrahi dies ", La Clé des Langues [en ligne], Lyon, ENS de LYON/DGESCO (ISSN 2107-7029), mai 2012. Consulté le 04/12/2023. URL: https://cle.ens-lyon.fr/anglais/archives/archives-revue-de-presse/new-call-for-lockerbie-inquiry-as-abdelbaset-ali-mohmed-al-megrahi-dies-