1) Choose the best synonyms for the following words:
1) Match the following words together:
For we know _____ our _____ heritage is _____ _____ , not a weakness. We _____ _____ nation of _____ and _____ , _____ and _____ and nonbelievers. We are _____ by every language and culture, drawn from every end of this _____ ; and because we _____ _____ the bitter swill of _____ _____ and _____ , and emerged from that dark _____ _____ and more _____ , we cannot help _____ believe that the old hatreds _____ _____ pass.
2) RIGHT or WRONG? Justify your answer quoting from the video.
a) According to Barack Obama, it's hard to have unity in the USA because of all the different origins
b) Obama points out that racism still exists today
c) Obama's father was actually white
d) US citizens must not look back at history
e) US citizens must be strong
3) Let us mark this day with remembrance, of who we are and how far we have traveled. (l.37) Who does the pronoun we refer to? What are the two possibilities, and how does the verb travel changes meaning according to who we refer to?
4) Who is the man Obama mentions at the end of part 3 and why does he mention him?
3) In his speech, Obama mentions a multi-ethnic heritage but he seems to forget an essential part of the 'patchwork'. Which one is it and what does it reveal about the place given to that minority?